Thursday, April 17, 2014

Weathering Change

Germaine's oldest daughter Adelaide in the January snow




This past winter, Chicago was in a deep freeze and overwhelmed with snow. Our Raggle, Inc offices declared two official snow days due to the weather giving me some time to reflect on the past and anticipate the future of the company my husband and I started 15 years ago.

Most people know I started because I was tired of wearing bras to bed after having my first baby.  Little did I know I not only created the first nursing tank top but I created one of the most comfortable bras for all women to wear.    Russ and I went from having a baby to having a business.  We found a niche, filled it and kept our eyes open for ways to keep growing and changing.
Majamas


Eliseo's Vecchio Gown
Our business is based on wholesaling into retail stores like Whole Foods and small boutiques. After the 2008 recession hit, we lost roughly 25% of our small boutiques.  Like any business that loses customers, I tried not to panic and did my best to edit the evening news so I could sleep at night.  Russell and I realized that we had to expand our collection in order to retain and expand our customer base.  So, we created a new collection that didn't cater just to maternity stores and named it Eliseo, after my Italian grandfather from Cuposele', Italy who was also a clothing designer.

Eliseo is made from the same soft, beautiful fabrics used to make Majamas and we do our very best to keep it whimsical, versatile and cute.  Just like the Majamas line, we make everything in the Eliseo collection, from the fabric to the final garment, right here in the United States.  We've never done our manufacturing any other way and as long as Russell and I run the company, we don't plan to ever sew overseas.  Majamas is now a nationally known brand name and we hope that Eliseo will be just as popular in the years to come.

Staying in business is similar to surviving a harsh winter.  There are days when we feel overwhelmed with snow and the day never feels sunny.  The good thing is that just like the weather, the sun does come out and we regain our positive outlook and feel as if nothing can stop us, not even a -13 degree day.  As I watched my daughters playing in the snow, I realized that even the worst weather can be fun and someday, I'll be reflecting again on how fun it was to run a great company like Raggle, Inc. 

To shop Eliseo, visit www.eliseofashion.com

Eliseo's Coperta Poncho



No comments:

Post a Comment